Search This Blog

Thursday 7 November 2013

Positive outlook

I love my brothers and am so looking forward to spending some time with them next week.  


Well, qualify that, I am so looking forward to lying resplendent on a sofa whilst they pop in and vaguely wave (it's a family thing) between their rounds of golf, trips to the Lord Nelson and the Adnams Cellar Shop.  I am also looking forward to spending time with my sister-in-law, Bunds and, of course, Coco.  It would be dishonest of me not to be honest about the fact that Bundy will make sure the house is clean and tidy, load the dishwasher, wipe the bath and then make me giggle and take me to the Two Magpies for coffee and Colleen and Clare for window shopping.  My Uggs are beginning to go - slippage and smell - and, despite the wonderful Dr B telling me how to wash them, it is NOT working and I have green feet….

HWISO is not quite so "optimistic" about being dunked into a Wills Family gathering.  We have all given him a load of let-out clauses and assured him that he can do exactly as he wants - we are not the Kennedy's and there are no organised activities.  He is torn between showing how much his golf has improved and being up against the naturally competitive brothers….

Living on a family farm, being secretary for a family business and working alongside the family for the past 22 years has meant that his family are very dominant in my life.  I am NOT complaining - just pointing it out.  I see my brother-in-law, James, most days for a farm meeting between 6.30 am and 7 am (except weekends) and we talk a lot on the phone.  My sister-in-law has been great at dropping everything to help me out when I need it.  When I first came to live down here, we used to go for lunch every day with my parents-in-law during the week, despite the fact we lived a mile away.  As I said, a lot of contact!

So I can understand HWISO's slight nervousness at the immersion into another family of quick-witted, in-jokers.

But we all had the same mother, who drummed into us that the worst thing you can do is be unkind.  So we shall smother him in kindness….

Until the pub opens - then it's up to Tim and Mick to anaesthetise him - 

No comments:

Post a Comment