Search This Blog

Monday 25 February 2013

Plumping up the self-esteem





"if I were in your shoes I would get my car keys and be halfway to Portland" 

A random piece of advice given to a stranger two years ago.  I could sense the desperation and the urgency of her situation.  Phrasing my advice so that it is not "do this now" but more of a gentle (dolphin-like?) nudge towards help, is something that took me some time to master but I was obviously getting the hang of it 18 months into this advocacy lark.

This mother did make the 3,000 mile trip where "Dr O'Toole and the staff at Kartini made an urgent, terrifying experience manageable."

The pleasure is entirely mine, TTP and I am so grateful to hear your lovely voice and your praise at a time when "nadir" doesn't even begin to describe how I am feeling.

To then win an OMMscar (Outstanding Contribution Award) was the icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment