Search This Blog

Thursday 11 October 2012

The Carrie Arnold Code.

Decoding Anorexia: How Breakthroughs in Science Offer Hope for Eating Disorders"Decoding Anorexia is the first and only book to explain anorexia nervosa from a biological point of view. Its clear, user-friendly descriptions of the genetics and neuroscience behind the disorder is paired with first person descriptions and personal narratives of what biological differences mean to sufferers. Author Carrie Arnold, a trained scientist, science writer, and past sufferer of anorexia, speaks with clinicians, researchers, parents, other family members, and sufferers about the factors that make one vulnerable to anorexia, the neurochemistry behind the call of starvation, and why it’s so hard to leave anorexia behind."





I have been networking on Linked In recently.  It was an exercise to promote the F.E.A.S.T conferences in 3 continents but joining Linked In is lethal for a connections enthusiast like me.

One of the most interesting discussions (for me) has been a very long thread in a professional psychology network, asking for recommendations for self-help books.  I launched quite early with HYTBAED and SBL and shall be going back on to recommend the very excellent new Decoding Anorexia by Carrie Arnold, which arrived yesterday and I finished reading this morning.  (What amazed me is the amount of people who recommended their own work - quite a shock for a Brit - really very un-Downton)

There are so many good things to say about Carrie's book.  It is not in the tiniest bit dry or patronising and contains many witty comments and analogies.  I ADORED her brain chapter and shall never again be afraid to look at diagrams of the brain, now she has explained the parts and functions in a warm and amusing way.

What struck me most, in this well-researched and factual book, was how much I already knew but was completely unable to explain to anyone.  I shall be carry it around in my handbag and bore people to death by reading out long extracts at the drop of a hat.

I hope anyone involved with eating disorders will buy, beg or borrow a copy of this book and I look forward to watching lightbulbs going on all over the world as people realise:

"This is not your fault"


No comments:

Post a Comment