Search This Blog

Monday 2 July 2012

Breast Cancer, one year on

This article spoke to me in so many ways.  I have my check up on 10th July and am living in dread of the mammogram.  When you have had your breast cut up, you are somewhat reluctant to them shove them in a machine that is going to squash them and really hurt.  I also know that however lovely my surgeon is (and he is lovely), there is something de-humanising about being the whole examination and the poking and prodding of MY breasts.

However, what reduced me to a puddle and alleviated the loneliness was this:

When you get to the other side you won't believe it. They will tell you the disease is gone. Everyone you know will rejoice and return back to their lives. You'll constantly wonder if it is coming back. Slowly this feeling will fade, but cancer will always be a part of you.

Thank you, Jeff Tomczek, for reaching out.  I appreciate you more than you will ever know.

3 comments:

  1. Sending you a hug today, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous03 July, 2012

    I too am sending you a hug.. I hope the mammogram is clear, you can put all that sh*t behind you - and relax into the life you deserve.

    You rock, Charlotte :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very powerful, passionate, thought-provoking and beautifully written article. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Charlotte, my thoughts are with you. You're an amazing, strong and compassionate woman. Oh, and funny too. I hope the pain of the mammogram passes quickly and that the result is clear.

    Hang in there, buddy.

    Martine xoxoxoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete